Founded in 1986, the IHSGB (Icelandic Horse Society of Great Britain) exists to maintain the purity of the unique Icelandic horse, to promote interest in the breed, to protect the welfare of the breed, and to encourage Icelandic horse breeding and riding competitions.
The British Society is a full member of FEIF, the International Federation of Icelandic Horse Associations, which has 20 members including Canada and the USA. The IHSGB is the only Icelandic horse association in Britain recognised by FEIF as representing the whole of the United Kingdom.
The IHSGB is a Passport Issuing Organisation, approved by Defra. We provide passports for pure-bred Icelandic horses – see the breeding & studbook section for more information. Please note – if a horse does not have a passport from the IHSGB or another FEIF organisation then it may not be a pure, registered Icelandic horse, and it will not be able to enter IHSGB events.
The IHSGB publishes four newsletters, ‘Sleipnir’, per year with information about Icelandics at home and abroad, which is also available online in the members section. Get in touch with email@example.com for the password.
National Championships are held every year, and every two years is the World Championships for Icelandic Horses to which Britain sends a team to compete.
The IHSGB has members all over Great Britain and there are training courses, pleasure rides, competitions and social events held all over the country. Junior members have their own events and can take part in several international events organised by FEIF.
IHSGB members are a very friendly group, and anyone with an interest in the unique Viking horse of Iceland is warmly welcomed. For more information click here, to download a membership form, click here or contact the Membership Administrator.
The IHSGB has an online Yahoo discusssion group for members – you can join by visiting here.
IHSGB articles, rules, terms of reference
Click on the following links to download the relevant file in .pdf format
- National Sport Team Selection Rules and Objectives 2015
- Studbook Rules
- IHSGB Articles of Association
- Terms of Reference for IHSGB Ltd (currently under review)
- Terms of Reference for the IHSGB Teams – Breeding, Sport and Youth
- Terms of Reference for the production of Sleipnir
- IHSGB Governance and Health & Safety Policy
- Supplementary Rules for the Prudent Management of IHSGB Funds and Investments
- Gifts and Legacies
- IHSGB Safeguarding Policy
- IHSGB Volunteer Policy
- IHSGB Advertising Policy
- IHSGB Ltd Annual Report and Accounts 2013-2014
- IHSGB Ltd Annual Report and Accounts 2014-2015
- IHSGB Ltd Annual Report and Accounts 2015-2016
- IHSGB Ltd Annual Report and Accounts 2016-2017