Sport and Competitions
While Icelandics can and do compete in all sorts of disciplines and suitable classes at ordinary horse shows, there are also special competitions held purely for the breed, designed to show off the gaits and are judged on the quality of the gaits and the partnership between and horse and rider. This is a horse bred for use, not show – the Border Collie of the horse world.
The IHSGB holds a British Championships every year (which is a qualifier for the World Championships, held every two years) and there are local shows too with classes suitable for all riders, from beginners to experts. As well as the “serious” classes there are also fun classes such as the Beer Tölt.
Competitions are held on 250m oval or straight tracks, and there are a variety of classes suitable for all standards of horse and rider. Have a look at the FEIF Sport pages to find out more about the sport classes available for Icelandic Horses, rules for competition, lists of qualified sport judges etc.
The Sport Group encourages you to organise small or larger events and if you need any guidance or help, check out the Sport Resources page here or don’t hesitate to get in touch with the sport group at email@example.com.
FEIF Good and Harmonious Riding
Since 2012, FEIF has been proud to present riders nominated for Good and Harmonious Riding. Judges at WorldRanking events can nominate riders to be included in the list because of their fine riding style. This is independent of the test or the marks given. Every year a fresh list is started; 78 riders were nominated for Good and Harmonious Riding in 2014, including two riders from Great Britain and 105 in 2015! Click here to see the list.
- Rules for IHSGB National Sport and/or Breeding Shows
- Rules for the Selection of National Teams
- National Sport Team Selection Rules and Objectives 2015
- Flu Vaccination Rules at IHSGB and FEIF events Please note: The IHSGB also accepts Jockey club rule vaccinations, but riders who intend to compete abroad should ensure their horses are vaccinated as per FEI rules.
- Sport Resources – Useful information for those wishing to compete with their Icelandics or organise an event.